Vegan MiSOgood Glazed Baked Eggplant
Easy to prepare, this eggplant dish can be both an elegant and unctuous side or entrée dish.
Total Time: 15 mins Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 10 mins
Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 tbsp MiSOgood Sesame Miso
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp mirin sweet rice wine (optional)
- ¼ tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 3 ea Japanese eggplants or 2 Chinese eggplants
- ½ tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 ea. green onion (finely sliced)
- 3 ea. Cilantro stalks (stems discarded and leaves chopped)
- Cooking spray
Steps to Make It
- Preheat broiler with the rack about 4 inches from the heat source.
- Line the baking pan with parchment paper and spray it with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine miso, sugar, mirin, and red chili pepper flakes and mix well. Set aside.
- Remove the ends of the eggplants. Slice them in half lengthwise from the stem to bottom creating boat-like halves. If you use Chinese eggplants, cut each boat-like half crosswise for a good size.
- With the tip of a knife score the flesh, about 1/4 inch deep 3-4 times across the eggplants.
- Place the eggplants flesh side down and broil until the skin browns and softens, about 5 minutes. Turn the eggplants flesh side up and brush on the mixture from step 3.
- Broil the eggplant again until glaze starts to brown and sizzle, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, green onion, and cilantro. Serve immediately.
Recipe created by Nami of JustOneCookbook.com